Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brisbane Forest Park


The US needs more national parks accessible via public transportation. Actually, Australia does, too, for that matter. Anyways, I took the 385 up to Brisbane Forest Park today.

The park has a little nature center with some wallabies, a sugar glider, lots of birds and... wait for it... a platypus. I still really hate seeing animals in captivity, though, so I can only hope that in a first world country they're at least being taken care of as best as possible.

The park has several awesome hikes, only two of which are accessible if you don't have a car. I did a 5km (3 mile) hike around a little lake. It started off with a sign warning hikers that the Eastern Brown Snake (among the top 10 most deadly snakes) has been spotted several times on the trail. It warns to never hike alone (darn it), to dial 000 in case of a bite (darn it--don't have a phone) and to not move if bitten (well, how am I supposed to get back?). This, in combination with my new biggest fear, the stinging tree, made for a very slow hike. Look up, look down, look around, draw in skirt so as not to brush those purple flowers (could be deadly, right?), okay, take a step forward.

It started off sunny. Then in got cool and started to rain. By the time I got the rain gear on it was sunny again. All during this, it was windy--LOUD windy--as hell.

The hike was filled with all sorts of little birds, but I didn't really get to see any of them. I did get to see two frogs, one of which was right on the trail. I also saw some sort of spiny caterpillar.

I finished the hike just in time to catch the bus back. It leaves only once an hour.

Tonight we'll go to the grocery store. I've got steak marinating in the fridge for kebabs. Aaaand we'll watch more Master Chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment