Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gold Coast

We went to the Gold Coast/Surfer's Paradise and I must say that I am very impressed by the lifeguards. I haven't seen lifeguards in Cape Cod and the lifeguards in California just sit on their perch and peer out into the distance. These people guard. There are 2-3 guards per station and they have a truck with a PA so they can yell at people who are swimming out of bounds. Additionally, there's a helicopter that patrols the coast, looking for sharks. Finally, they keep shark bait on hooks way away from the swimming area to tempt the sharks elsewhere. All in all, it was about as safe as it could be.

Unfortunately, they can't really save you from the sun. Even though it's winter, the sun was very hot and very strong. When I wasn't in the water (which wasn't too long), I was sitting on the shore with a book... and a hat and a pullover and a towel over my legs. Not because I was cold, but to keep off the sun.

Tomorrow Laura and I leave for New Zealand and the on to Tasmania. I'm not sure what the internet situation will be. If I can upload photos, I will, but I definitely think I'll be able to post. Tell you what, though: I'm really looking forward to coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment