Monday, July 26, 2010

Hobart/Sydney


Last night after I posted, Laura and I perfected the art of nursing beer and stayed in a pub, reading and drinking for about four hours. Then we had some pretty decent Italian food. The best part of last night was coming home just in time to watch the finale of Master Chef Australia. I don't know if I mentioned this, but Master Chef USA will premier on the 28th!!

This morning we flew into Sydney and checked into our hostel. It's a converted railway station and our dorm is in a converted the railway car. As if this wasn't exciting enough, everything is shiney and operating-room-clean. It's really great!

For lunch we got sushi and then walked over to the Lindt Cafe where we bought amazing hot chocolate, Lindt truffles and two French macaroons. We planned on drinking and eating in the botanical gardens, but as it started raining, we just sort of propped ourselves on a wall.

We then visited the Australian Mint museum where we learned more about converting to the decimal system as well as the conversion to polymer bills. (Australian money is plastic). All of the polymer bills used around the world are made in Australia (but printed elsewhere). We got to watch, again, my new favorite cartoon. I can't find it on YouTube, but it's catchy and hilarious.

We walked a bit in the botanical gardens, but honestly, I'm a bit gardened out. Then I went to the Australian Museum, where they charged be $8 instead of $12 because I got there with only an hour to go. They had a neat skelleton room and lots of big dinosaurs, but nothing particularly heart-stopping.

Laura and I are back at the hostel now, wondering what to do for dinner...

We leave for Brisbane tomorrow. We'll do lots of laundry and I'll upload all my photos so I can go back to my posts and add pictures. Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment